From an early age, i have always loved studying.
It’s not so much studying i like, it is learning which i love. I love feeling smart, i love learning new facts and i love when i begin to understand what i am learning, and make the connection between one topic with another. When you begin to understand how different things go together.
Studying is something i would say you get better at the more you do it.
Of course, not everyone likes studying and some people may naturally just be better at it than others. They can easier focus and concentrate. But also it depends on WHAT you are studying. If you find languages easier to study and learn then you may find studying science or math extremely difficult and vice versa. So maybe you are amazing at studying the subjects you enjoy and are good at, and not as good at studying the subjects you struggle with.
I have recently been asked about my best study tips, which i shared on my instagram, but also have to balance life when studying at university.
And i can say… it is not always easy.
Life at university can be very different from week to week according to me. Some weeks you have 1 lecture and lots of at home reading to do, other weeks you have lectures 8-5pm and have assignments on top of that. And some weeks you just have essays and group work and no lectures.
So how and where you study – and how much time you have for other things in your life depends alot on what course you are studying and how mcuh work the course includes.
Some weeks i have more time to be at home, go to the gym, watch YouTube etc and other weeks i leave the house at 7am and don’t return until after 6pm and don’t get the chance to go to the gym or do anything else but study.
That is sort of my life right now. I am studying 200%, i.e 3 courses at the same time. It is very intense as there are assignments, essays and tests all at the same time. And while studying i am also working as well as running my social media, so if my blog is lacking you know the reason why.
So how do i balance studying and everything else in life? Priortize, plan and structure up your life.
Buy a calender and write down all the due dates. Make to do lists.
Focus on what is most important – due date first.
Plan your days. I.e on Monday between x-y you focus on Z, then afterwards you focus on A-B. On Tuesday you focus on C-D etc etc
Of course, you are only human and the plan doesn’t always workout. I.e maybe you wake up sick or you feel extremely demotivated and nothing will stay in your brain, then you need to change the plan and that is ok.
Take away the things that don’t give you anything/you just waste time on/aren’t helpful. I.e for me at the moment, i basically don’t have time to watch any series or YouTube. I do take breaks, but then i prefer to listen to podcasts or go for a walk or take a shower or just bake – things which are more productive, This is just right now, otherwise i love watching YouTube and series, but at the moment it is something i don’t have time for.
Do take breaks and take time for yourself. And make sure to sleep! Usually when you are busy or stressed, sleep is the first thing people cut out on. But that is one of the worst things you can do, instead it will make you less effective and productive. Make sure to get 7-9 hours sleep, and instead just be more effective in the hours you are working.
Meal prep! Take 1-2 hours 2 times a week to meal prep – it is so worth it. And your meal prep can abe as simple as a pasta salad, or make a one pot lentil soup which doesn’t take alot of time.
If possible – walk places. This can take more time than public transport, but if you have the time it is a good way to get in some daily exercise if you don’t have time to workout.
Those are just some of the tips i could think of right now which i hope help!
Below are some of my best study tips:
1) find your best way of studying. I.e do you study best when alone or when studying in group? At home or in the library? With or without music? Etc Find what works best for you. Typically, having a quiet place where you can sit and concentrate is the most efficient – also in an inspiring setting can be helpful. (I.e sitting in a completely white, silent room may not be so inspiring)
2) Find which way you learn best. (For most people it’s a combo of seeing/hearing/discussing/writing about the topic.) For me, i learn best by note taking and then answering questions about the topic and trying to teach out to others.
3) Priortize and organize – focus on the thing that is most important/due first. It’s easy to get caught up in small extra things and forget about the assignment which needs to be done first!
4) Flash cards and clear notes makes a huge difference!! Also, take notes during your lecture… trust me, you won’t remember what was said and you will regret not writing it down. It’s better to take too many notes then too little-
5) Also remember to not just memorize facts-but to actually try to learn. I.e it’s easy to just memorize and then forget the information after the exam… but by really trying to understand it can make it easier to remember!
6) don’t be scared to ask questions or ask for help! If you are stuck, discussing with a teacher or classmates can help alot!
7) Exercising really does help with creativity and studying!
8) Turn off your phone/notifications and put your phone away to not get distracted 📵
9) Take breaks and remember to eat enough to fuel your mind! Also don’t forget to drink water!
10) make a plan for your studying. It’s better to study a little everyday, read a few pages everyday than to sit 8 hours straight 2 days a week.