Homemade bagels has been a food that i have wanted to try making at home for a long time. I remember seeing others post about homemade bagels on Vegan facebook groups i am part of, and i always just thought “It must be so difficult and time consuming”. And granted… it is time consuming. But it is also worth it, haha.
To see the process – step by step – of making homemade bagels i direct you to my instagram highlight (HERE) where you can see the process of making bagels.
Making bagels at home isn’t actually as hard as it may seem, it is just that it takes some time. I made 24 bagels which may be a little overkill if you aren’t planning to bake for a family of 10 or to give away the bagels.
The recipe is for 12 bagels which is a little more managable for the average person.
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to let me know 🙂
Some great bagel fillings are…
- Vegan cream cheese and “bacon” (such as rice paper bacon or eggplant bacon)
- Chickpea tuna
- Peanut butter and jelly/jam
- vegan butter and jam
- Peanut butter and banana
- Vegan nutella
- Vegan smoked salmon with cream cheese
Ingredients for 12 bagels:
1 tbsp sugar or syrup
500ml lukewarm water
780g all purpose flour
- Crumble the yeast(25g) in a baking bowl or your mixing bowl and pour a little of water over the yeast and stir so the yeast is completely dissolved. Add 1tbsp sugar or syrup and let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the lumewarm water.
- Add the salt and almost all of the flour (780g)
- In a food mixer, mix the dough for about 5 minutes, it should be fairly firm.
- Cover the baking bowl with a plate or cloth and place somewhere warm to proof for about 1 hour.
- Once proofed divide the dough into 12-15 pieces.
- Roll out each piece about 25 cm long. Shape into round wreaths, tie the ends together.
- Place them on floured baking sheet paper. Allow to proof for about 20 minutes.
- Set oven to 225 ° C.
- Boil 2 liters of water in a large pot and add 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Carefully place 2-3 pieces of bagels at a time into the boiling water. Let simmer for about 3 minutes. Turn them once or twice while boiling.
- Once boiled place the bagels on a plate and allow to dry off before placing on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Coat with some aqaufaba and then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.Bake in the middle of the oven for about 17- 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before eating!