Tired of eating potatoes the same way all the time? Well here is a simple recipe for you try 🙂
There are so many different ways to eat potatoes…. roasted, fried, mashed, baked, fries, boiled, potato tots and the list goes on. These patties are very easy to make and taste delicious both hot and cold! The starch in the potatos is what helps them keep their form, and you need to form the patties when the potatoes are cold otherwise they don’t stick together as well.
900g potatoes (a firm sort, not floury)
3-4tbsp flour (all purpose)
Sesame seeds, or bread crumbs
Oil or melted margarine
- PEEL THE POTATOES AND CHOP IN HALF
- BOIL IN A POT OF SALTED WATER. BOIL UNTIL THE POTATOES ARE JUST ABOUT SOFT, BUT NOT MUSHY. AROUND 12-14 MINUTES.
- ONCE SOFT, POUR AWAY THE WATER AND ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY. I PLACED THEM IN THE FRIDGE FOR 45-60 MINUTES TO COOL.
- ONCE COOLED, YOU CAN EITHER MASH WITH A POTATO MASHER OR FORK. OR DO LIKE I DID AND PLACE IN A FOOD PROCESSER. MIX UNTIL JUST MASHED (BUT SHOULD NOT BE SO SMOOTH IT TURNS INTO MASHED POTATOES, THERE SHOULD STILL BE SOME TEXTURE!) THEN ADD THE FLOUOR, SALT, PEPPER AND CHIVES (YOU CAN USE FRESH OR FROZEN). MIX WITH A FORK UNTIL COMBINED AND YOU CAN FORM PATTIES.
- COAT THE PATTIES IN SESAME SEEDS ON EACH SIDE. THEN FRY IN A GENEROUS AMOUNT OF OIL UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON EACH SIDE. REPEAT FOR ALL THE PATTIES.
These patties work great with some salad or veggies and preferably some type of sauce, such as coleslaw (recipe here)!
Give this recipe a try, if you are a potato lover like myself then you will love this recipe 🙂